Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lights Out

This morning Alex and I were awakened to a very loud booming sound. It wasn't thunder and it wasn't gunfire (in this neighborhood, that would be a possibility, but not today).

Looking over at the clock it became  clear that the power had gone out. I figured at this point, I might as well just go ahead and get up. Going about my morning chores I figured that this really was not such a big deal. Growing up, we lots of power outtages and we always made things work out.

My excitement for our little adventure didn't last long after I realized that without electricity, I can't boil the water to make my morning tea. Walking down to the Starbucks images flashed through my mind: we have no electricity- that means not hot water, no stove to cook on, I will have to resort to coking in the barbecue pit in the courtyard with my cast iron pots. Can I do that? An what about baths? I would need to boil the water in that same pot and tote it back up the stairs to give sponge baths.

Crap. This is going to suck. Calmly I walked back home with my cup of hot tea wondering what I would do. Then, as I walked back into our home I saw something that really made me happy. The red numbers on the clock were blinking again. We have power again! No sponge baths, no cold food out of a can and best of all, there will be tea. It's going to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment