Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wake Up Call

This morning a thunderstorm moved through our area. Nothing too spectacular, but enough to make me happy. I love thunderstorms. When I was a little girl, they were scary and the comfort was to snuggle up with my mother and wait for it to pass. I am not sure what changed, but now I look forward to the summer storms that we have here.

The skies were cloudy and gray afterward and there was a bit of rain. The mums on our stoop looked beautiful against the gray and thoughts of tea and warm wool knits across my lap enter my mind. Soon autumn will arrive and I can hardly wait until the leaves begin to change. Autumn means fall soups made with the vegetables from our gardens, flowers from the end of their season, and the crunch of leaves beneath my feet.

The autumn season is so short here that there is only so much time to really enjoy it until the winter hits with months of gray skies and rain. I plan to spend as much time outside as I can enjoying the end of summer, and the beginning of autumn. Those days that are too wet or cold to go outside will be spent inside making soups and bread to share, knitting for my loved ones, and sipping tea and reading books. What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment