Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cause To Celebrate

Andrew, my youngest brother is in town for the Labor Day weekend. It has been quite nice having him around the last few days. Last night was a special evening indeed; my parents and both of my brothers came to our place to have homemade enchiladas and cornbread. The weather was perfect and when we finished eating we played the boardgame LIFE and enjoyed each other's company.  
 
 
This is why I love summer and why there is a bit of sadness in my heart. I'm sad, not because very soon, the sunshine that we crave here in the Pacific Northwest will be replaced with gray skies and constant rain showers, but also because my brother won't be back until Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. I'm sad because he will be going on to Graduate School in the near future and our time together will be even less than it is now.
 
I look at this photo and I see my family together, just the five of us (I'm not in the photo), and it strikes me, this is probably the last time for a long time that we will ever be just the five of us. Alex and I are married and out on our own, busy with life, Jonathan is preparing to get married, and Andrew is living in Seattle until he goes off to graduate school.
 
I love summer because everything is full of life and warm and beautiful and it's hard to say goodbye as we move into the next season. On with our lives. The seasons don't ever change, but our lives, they do. Who we are and the things we do, places we go, the things we experience everyday whether we realize it or not. Last night was a cause to celebrate, however simply, the fact that we were together. I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment