Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Purple

Purple is a nice color, and I have nothing against it. We had it in our wedding, I have a plum-colored purse from Alex, and I own a few tops shaded in lavender. Nice color, never did me any harm, until last night. Really, no harm was done, as the problem was quickly taken care of, and I can laugh about it now, but last night, I was not laughing.

We were at my mother-in-law's home and I was getting hungry. In search of a snack, I came up with the ingredients for a nutritious fruit smoothie. I tossed in the banana, strawberries, almond milk, orange juice and blueberries and watched everything swirl together to create a lovely shade of purple. I'm not sure what the technical name would be, but if it were a crayon it would probably be something like marionberry pie or something.

My mother-in-law recently purchased a new blender; one of those fancy models that allows you to remove the bottom part so as to clean it easily. After pouring the smoothie into a glass, there was still quite a bit leftover and not wanting to waste I turned to put it into the refrigerator for later. I was curious about the bottom piece; not realizing that the entire thing is what keeps the contents inside of the blender. Surely I would need to remove that first before putting it into the fridge.

I couldn't have been more wrong, nor could I have stopped the horrible gushing mess that immediately followed the second I unscrewed the connecting piece. I watched in horror as the purple flooded over and hit the floor. Alex was in the next room and the moment he heard me swearing (which I don't' often do), he rushed in.

He asked what happened and I stared at him a moment. Before explaining that I was learning how to use the new blender and getting familiar with all the pieces. Alex went for some paper towels (when cleaning up something that will stain something that doesn't belong to you, it's best not to stain something else while trying to clean up the previous mess...)

And together, we cleaned up that two-foot puddle of purple goo that had temporarily adorned Julie's kitchen floor. We had a few laughs about it later, but really, I would most happy if this sort of thing didn't happen again for a very long time. It was a pain to clean up and a terrible waste of a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment