Friday, February 22, 2013

Color

One of the things I love about knitting is the incredible variety of colors available to work with. There are the natural hues that come from animals such as sheep and rabbits, the bright. bold colors made up from synthetic dyes, and every shade in between. Each color can be paired to another just perfectly to create something beautiful, edgy, or peaceful. I love it all.

In this photo, by National Geographic photographer, Joseph Baylor Roberts, I find the soft colors rather charming. It is an image that was published in a 1941 edition of NGM and depicts a young woman that was crowned the Queen of the Cotton Festival in Gastonia, North Carolina.

My eyes are drawn to the large draping of white behind her (which looks handknit), and the spools of cotton that surround her; each one colored like an Easter egg. I find myself wondering about this. It's my guess that in the early nineteen-forties, the colors available were somewhat limited. Today, dyers have created some beautiful combinations that are self-striping and patterning. This is quite a leap from the simple solid shades knitters used back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment