Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Gift of Sight

The ability to see is truly a gift. Most of us think of sight as being experienced through ones eyes. For those that cannot physically see, however, sight is found via other means; touching and the movement of hands, sense of smell, or hearing. I know a woman that is legally blind that plays the piano beautifully. Her hands glide over the ivories with little effort and the result is marvelous.

Alex and I have something of a pact. If something were to ever happen that I would lose my sight and no longer be able to knit, he would learn and do it for me. On one condition; I had to learn how to play his video games if he ever lost his sight.

I say all of this because I have recently made an appointment to have my eyes checked. I do wear light reading glasses on occasion but those have been misplaced and things are looking a bit fuzzy. By "a bit fuzzy" I mean that even the numbers on the microwave and the letters that I am currently typing are difficult to read without a bit of squinting.

I do feel confident that I will not lose my eyesight, but there is a possibility that I will walk out with a new prescription for glasses. This is all causing me to wonder though, if I lost the ability to see what I'm knitting would I still be able to enjoy it? I could still feel the fibers move through my fingers and the warmth of the needles in my hands, but I wouldn't be able to see the colors, and in knitting, that's a big part of it.

We shall see what happens. The appointment is on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment