Friday, February 8, 2013

Two For Two

As I am writing this, I am staring at the screen of a new computer, fresh out of the box this afternoon. There is nothing wrong with the laptop I have now, but what that lacks in keeping a long battery charge, this new one makes up for in touch-screen technology. Yes. Touch-Screen. I feel as high tech as the team on NCIS: Los Angeles. If you watch that show, you will understand the reference to their really cool gadgets.

This computer was a birthday gift from Alex*, my adoring husband who is extremely patient with me. I mention that he is patient because just a few days ago I discovered a very big number on a receipt that he brought home when I was checking the dollar amount for a different item that needed to be returned. I didn't take the time to look at what item could possibly be so much money, and instead told him to please discuss that sort of spending with me next time.

He just looked at me and (with great patience) explained that it was a birthday present. I felt like quite a jerk. But, although my mouth is physically small, I discovered that it can accommodate for exactly the amount of room for my foot to enter and stay there because I made similar mistake last night when I said something and ruined another surprise.

This time, it involved my mother. I should note (just in case she is reading this very post) that she really is a very generous woman and gives from her heart whenever the occasion arises. She has a coworker that has access to her own angora and merino that was kind enough to supply some to her.

Anyway, my mother came home before out knitting group and showed me this beautiful fiber that she had just gotten that day and asked what I thought of it. I told her to ask what this woman would charge for it, because I wanted to buy some for myself. Then my mother (kind as she is), suddenly had this really disappointed look on her face and said something along the lines of "well, I was really wanting to wait until your birthday, but I really love you, and I just know that you have always wanted to knit with such pure and beautiful fibers, these are for you. Happy Knitting."

Of course, I am paraphrasing so the actual conversation may have been a little different. I was so excited!

I thanked her repeatedly and apologized for ruining (another) surprise.

In all seriousness, I do thank you Alex and mom for really doing something special like this for my birthday. It was a very pleasant (although unexpected) surprise.

*The computer came with strings attatched; I have to share with Alex since it is meant to be the family computer. The yarn however, did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment