Monday, September 24, 2012

A Good Thing

Yesterday I had the opportunity to walk with thousands of people to support continuing research for Alzheimers. I am a caregiver for The Springs at Clackamas Woods and was proud to walk with our team of staff and residents. It was amazing. The Alzheimers Foundation of America provides this definition of the disease: "a progressive, degenerative disorder that attacks the brain's nerve cells, or neurons, resulting in loss of memory, thinking and language skills, and behavioral changes."

It is heartbreaking to watch a loved one lose their life to Alzheimers. It is not something that is currently curable, but can be managed with patience, love and dignity. I work in the memory care section of our facility and it is one of the most rewarding things I have had the pleasure to be a part of.

Here are some pictures :)

There were people walking for loved ones, or favorite residents they care for

I lost both my grandparents to the disease- I walked for them

This was our team name

Many a sign was carried to show support

The residents that have been affected by Alzheimers and cannot walk were along the side of the track cheering us on

Gabby is our photographer :)


The finishing line was amazing- I had goosebumps the whole walk from the love and support



Of course I knitted on the bus to and from...

This is only part of our team...

I so want to do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment