Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stuck

People often give me funny looks when I tell them I don't leave the house without my knitting. They don't understand that knitting is what keeps me from bothering people when I have to wait in line, go on long drives, or keep me quiet when political discussions get heated. It also gives me something to do when I get stuck someplce. Such was the case this afternon when my dear friend and I found ourselves stuck on the road home from a delightful afternoon together.

My friend, Barbara, and I were driving down the road today and found ourselves stuck for at least ten minutes. The reason? The road is being re-paved all month. It's sort of a main road and to go through  adetour is something of a nuisance. So we waited. It was stifling this afternoon- if I had to guess, probably at least 90-degrees. That wouldn't have been quite so annoying had there been a breeze flowing through the windows. Or air-contioning in the car. Neither of which we had.

So, I knit a bit on the wee baby sweater I am currently working on. Pictures will follow soon...

I was lucky today. There have been a few times that I have not had my knitting with me. Just a few weeks ago, through a series of forgetfulness and poor planning I found myself locked out of the house. With no knitting and no spare key. Looking back, having no knitting was worse; if I had it, I would have been able to wait much more patiently for help to arrive.

After a few moments, I turned to my dear mother (we were locked out together) and confided that I was very close to foraging for a couple of sticks and some long grass just to take the edge off...

Help arrived and very soon I was reunited with my knitting. *This will never happen again.

* I should mention that this probably will happen again, but most likely it will be even worse- like having the drive halfway across the country for a family reunion and leaving the knitting bag at a rest stop 40 miles ago and it's gettting dark and I'm hungry and cranky and there is not a single LYS anywhere in sight....

No comments:

Post a Comment