Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Patience

You all remember the Suki shawl that I started, right? It was to be knit out of a lovely wool dyed in a springy sort of green and a calming shade of lavender. They worked up beautifully together. The pattern was going well, and then, a mistake. It was a very minor mistake; I was short one stitch. The next few rows were worked up trying to fix this via increasing without having to rip out the hundreds of rows already worked up.

Then, I got to the end, right before I start the edging. I started and found that after counting, and recounting, there were ten missing stitches. How could this be? The chart was a another issue. While, to the experienced knitter, the chart would have been completed with very little issue, that was not the case with me. I started the chart, then recounted, and ripped back a few times before deciding that it just was not going to work unless I started completely over.

I put the shawl aside for a few days and sent off a message to knitting buddy, Camilla. Our conversations went something like this:

Me: I'm having trouble with the shawl chart*. I'm sure it's very simple, but I can't quite seem to figure it out.

*It is important to note that I was only thinking about the chart from memory while I was at work. It was 8:20pm and I had nothing to look at while I tried to describe my predicament to her.

Camilla: Give me a moment, and I will look it up*.

*She just so happens to have this very pattern.

C: So, all you need to do is everything on the right of the chart, and then the repeats inside the box, and then everything on the left of the box.

M: But what about the stitches on both sides? How often do I do those before each repeat? it was getting late for me, and I really wanted to understand why my shawl was turning out so wonky.

C: Are you talking about the wrong side rows?

M: silence. crap! I had not paid enough attention to the chart! No. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for taking the time to set me straight.

C: Are you sure?

M: Yes. Thank you. When I get home, I'm ordering new yarn to cope.

C: Anytime :)

I appreciate your help very much Camilla. That shawl will be finished (after I start it again), and I will wear it someday.

Today, I began my garden. There are some pots out on our stoop with fresh earth and seeds. I can hardly wait to see how they grow.

The pot on the left has marigolds, and the one on the right has morning glory.

Left to Right: The first two are empty, but will have herbs and tomatoes once I buy the plants, carrots, morning glory, empty (strawberries), peas, daffodils and alyssum.

1 comment:

  1. My very first big project was the February Lady Sweater. I went to the only fancy yarn store that I could find in my area, and splurged on three skeins of yarn (I seriously thought this would be enough, that's how inexperienced I was). I ended up going back and getting more yarn, then proceeded to knit up all of my yarn and ran out with about an inch of the second sleeve left to go. I set it aside until I could get one more skein of yarn and worked on another, much smaller, project. Eventually, I ran into a problem with the pattern and I brought it in to the yarn store to get some advice. The lady said, "Oh, this is a strange pattern. I've never seen one where all of the knit stitches were twisted..." ?? WHAT?

    It turned out that I'd been wrapping my yarn around my needle backwards for the entire six months that I'd been knitting, and every project finished to that point was jacked up.

    I ripped out my February Lady Sweater in frustration, but wanted it so badly that I knit it again - correctly this time, although it took me months to get over my anger at making such a dumb mistake - and had a skein and a half left over!

    I hope you can unravel your shawl, set it aside for a bit to get over your frustration with it, and then try it again, because those colors truly are gorgeous together, and I'm looking forward to seeing you model it.

    ReplyDelete